The City of Kirksville has adopted an internal grievance procedure providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action prohibited by the U.S. Department of Justice regulations implementing Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). That requires state and local governments to make its services and programs accessible to individuals with a disability.
Any individual who believes they have a grievance under the ADA should file a complaint to the ADA Coordinator in accordance with the following guidelines:
- Complaints should be addressed to: Human Resources Director, City of Kirksville, 201 S Franklin St, Kirksville, MO 63501. Or, for the hearing impaired, through RELAY Missouri at 1.800.735.2966. The Human Resources Director has been designated to hear and resolve ADA grievances.
- A complaint should be filed in writing and should contain the name and address of the person filing it together with a brief description of the alleged violation of the regulations. Any individual needing assistance with filing a complaint should notify the Human Resources Director.
- A complaint should be filed within ten (10) days of when the complainant becomes aware of the alleged violation. (Processing of allegations of discrimination occurring before this written grievance procedure was in place should be considered on a case-by-case basis.)
- An investigation should follow the filing of a complaint. The investigation should be conducted by the Human Resources Director or their designee. These rules contemplate informal but thorough investigations, affording all interested persons and their representatives, if any, an opportunity to submit evidence relevant to a complaint.
- A written determination as to the validity of the complaint and a description of the resolution, if any, should be issued by the Human Resources Director and a copy should be forwarded to the complainant no later than thirty (30) business days after its filing.
- The ADA Coordinator should maintain the files and records of the City of Kirksville relating to the complaints filed.
- The complainant may request reconsideration of their case in instances where they are dissatisfied with the resolution. The request for reconsideration should be made, within ten (10) days of the issuance of the Human Resources Director’s written resolution, to the City Manager of the City of Kirksville, City of Kirksville, 201 S. Franklin St, Kirksville, MO 63501, 660.627.1225, or, for the hearing impaired, through RELAY Missouri at 1.800.735.2966.
- The rights of a person to request a prompt and equitable resolution of the complaint filed hereunder should not be impaired by the person’s pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of an ADA complaint with the responsible federal department or agency. The use of this grievance procedure is not a prerequisite to the pursuit of other remedies.
- These rules should be construed to protect the substantive rights of interested persons to meet appropriate due process standards and to assure that the City of Kirksville complies with the ADA and implementing regulations.
201 S. Franklin St.
Kirksville, MO 63501
Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Don Crosby, Human Resources Director